1.3l Power Steering Pump Bracket

 

   
 
 

Power Steering Pump Mounting

DSCN1259.JPG (31119 bytes)

While I had my motor out I also pulled my A/C out of my Samurai since I wasn't going to run the doors anymore.  Since the A/C compressor was on the same belt as the power steering pump I needed to find a new way to tension the p/s pump.   It just so happens the A/C kit came with a nice bracket and adjustable pulley that bolted to the top of the Samurai block, using the holes my existing pump bracket used.  I decided to make a new bracket that would mount the p/s pump down lower, this would give better access to the #1 spark plug, and allow me to run the p/s fluid reservoir a little lower since the pump would now be much lower than the reservoir (before it was nearly level with the reservoir).  In the picture above I bolted the old bracket to the block with one bolt to get an idea of how the mounting arrangement I had planned would look.

DSCN1268.JPG (36216 bytes)

To get started on the new bracket, I made a square plate and put two holes in it that matched two of the threaded holes on the block.

DSCN1269.JPG (26765 bytes)DSCN1271.JPG (29729 bytes)

Next I took a 50 cent gusset I bought at a local shop and welded it to the bottom of my mounting plate. Earlier in the day after work I had traced my old bracket onto another plate and cut and drilled the plate to allow my Celica power steering pump to mount up to it.

DSCN1274.JPG (32899 bytes)DSCN1258.JPG (38950 bytes)

I wanted another mounting point so I bolted the bracket up to the block and positioned a small tab onto one of the free mounting holes on the front of the block.  I actually put some spacers behind the tab just in case I ever have to move the bracket back to accommodate a larger pump or different pulleys.  You may have noticed the main pulley isn't a stock Suzuki pulley, it's actually quite a bit larger, another old part from my A/C kit.  This pulley should spin the pump faster, I am hoping the seals can handle the added RPM's. 

DSCN1277.JPG (32999 bytes)

DSCN1279.JPG (33178 bytes)DSCN1280.JPG (31487 bytes)

The finished bracket turned out pretty nice.  I gusseted the underside of the front tab, and welded another small triangular shape gusset on the top of the plate that mounts to the block.